10 Must-do’s Before Buying Property



James Whitehead, director of content at Realestate.com.kh, Cambodia’s leading property portal with over 15,000 properties for sale and rent, tells us about the absolute must-do’s before buying your dream property.

Undertaking a property inspection for the first time can be an overwhelming task.

You need to have your eyes open to all aspects and features of the home – because no one wants to buy their dream home and it turn out to be an expensive nightmare! Do your property inspection right and see the benefits into the future. Where possible, it’s always advisable to contact a qualified building inspector to carry out a rigorous property inspection for you.

However, the following are a few simple property inspection checks you can carry out yourself.

– Can you see any water stains or corrosion on the walls surrounding the shower or bath? Or are there any signs of moisture on the walls surrounding the bath or shower? This may be a sign of water leakage, which can be costly to repair.

– Are the ceilings sagging? When you’re doing your property inspection, take a torch and shine the light across the ceiling, this will show any defects. Is the ceiling fixed firmly flush into place or does it have a ‘parachute’ appearance? If the roof is sagging, you’ll need to contact a builder to carry out repairs to the ceiling sheeting.

– Check that all roof downpipes are discharging into storm water soak wells and not just discharging onto the ground. You don’t want a flood in your new home when the monsoon season comes.

– It is also wise to look for any signs of previous flooding around the base of the roof downpipe. This can be an indication that the soak wells are not suitably sized or require cleaning out, which can be a costly maintenance item. If the property does not have the proper drainage, having a soak well installed can be very expensive.

– As part of any property inspection, look for any large cracks in the walls. Specifically, the inside and outside walls should be checked for cracks over 2mm in width. If the house has excessive cracking you must call a building inspector to check the soundness of the property’s structure.

To read the full article, please click here.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here