The Royal Cambodian Government has lifted the ban on visitors from Iran, Italy, Germany, Spain, France and the US which were implemented since March due to COVID-19. Now that all nationalities are allowed to enter we look at what is required as a foreign visitor coming to Cambodia whether on holiday or to conduct business.
Updated June 10th 2020
Below are the current requirements to travel to and do business in Cambodia.
Can foreigners visit Cambodia during COVID-19?
Foreigners from all countries with the correct visa and documentation can enter Cambodia during COVID-19. However, Cambodia suspended tourist visas from 30 March 2020.
In addition, there were six countries who were banned from entering the Kingdom of Cambodia since mid-March due to lockdown restrictions but these restrictions have now been lifted: Iran, Italy, Germany, Spain, France and the United States.
All visitors are still required to carry out a 14-day quarantine on arrival and in addition, new regulations were released on June 9th 2020.
Cambodia now “requires foreigners entering the country to pay for COVID-19 lab test, quarantine and treatment services” according to Economy and Finance Minister Aun Pornmoniroth.
What are the procedures to enter Cambodia as a foreigner?
The Cambodian Ministry of Health Minister, Mam Bun Heng, said in May 2020 that even though all travellers are allowed to enter Cambodia including Cambodians and foreigners, they had to hold certificates confirming that they had no COVID-19.
Most international flights have arrived in Phnom Penh or Sihanoukville.
In addition, the following is required for foreign visitors:
- Cambodians and foreigners, who travel to Cambodia will be transferred from airports to waiting centres for COVID-19 lab tests and they are required to wait for the test results at those centres.
- Health certificates (recognised by the governments of each country) which are issued 72 hours before arriving in Cambodia.
- Health insurance documentation to the value of at least $50,000 while staying in Cambodia (must adhere to the government’s measures) and ideally cover COVID-19 or pandemics.
- In the case one or many travellers are detected with Covid-19 from the same flight, other passengers on the same trip must be quarantined for 14 days (see details below).
- If results prove positive, Covid-19 passengers are to be quarantined for 14 days under the monitoring of local authorities and health officials, and they are required to be tested again on day 13 of the quarantine. There may be daily temperature checks as well. Foreigner will be charged for the quarantine (see fees below).
As of May 26th 2020, all visitors were also subject to a COVID-19 test at a facility near the airport. All inbound passengers will remain at this government facility until the test results are known. The duration of the stay could be overnight and as long as 24-48 hours.
Anyone testing positive for COVID-19 in Phnom Penh is to be admitted to the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital.
Cambodian authorities have prepared three hotels for all new arrivals to Sihanoukville. Passenger arriving at the Sihanoukville airport will stay at the hotel and await their test results. If the test results are negative, they can leave the hotel and self-quarantine at their respective homes or workplaces.
Only Queenco Hotel was confirmed to serve a quarantine hotel location Sihanoukville by June 10th.
What are the new fees implemented in June 2020?
Between June 10-11 2020, new high fees were introduced for foreigners wanting to enter Cambodia.
Sao Wathana, Director of the Phnom Penh International Airport, said “Upon arrival, all foreign passengers are required to deposit $3,000 at the airport to pay for the virus prevention services,” Passengers can pay in cash or through credit cards.
Those who test negative for the virus will only be charged the fees for the test and will be given back the remainder of their deposit.
For the list of fees applied see below:
Foreigners entering Cambodia must now pay the following:
- $5 U.S. dollars for a single trip between the airport and waiting centre.
- $100 dollars for a COVID-19 test.
- $30 dollars a day for staying at a hotel or at a waiting centre to wait for the test result.
- $30 dollars a day for three meals.
If anyone of the passengers is tested positive for the COVID-19, the rest of the passengers in the same group will be quarantined for 14 days, and each of them will be required to pay:
- $100 dollars for one test.
- $84 dollars a day for hotel or quarantine facility, meals, laundry and sanitary services, doctors and security service.
For COVID-19 positive patients, each of them will be required to pay:
- $100 dollars for one test (maximum of four tests).
- $225 dollars a day for a hospital room, medical treatment service, meals, and laundry and sanitary services.
In addition, in a worst-case scenario, a cremation service charge for a dead body is 1,500 dollars.
When a foreigner requires the issuance of a health certificate on COVID-19 the fees are:
- $100 dollars for a lab test.
- $30 dollars for the certificate.
Passengers who have recently arrived have warned of issues with payments on arrival, with some credit cards not working and passengers have been denied entry. It also advised you have the following to provide to the authorities.
- Your intended address in Cambodia for your 14-day self-quarantine
- A Cambodian phone number
What Visa must you have to visit Cambodia during COVID-19?
It is advised you to check with your embassy and follow the official government guidelines before travelling.
- You must have a valid multi-entry/exit (MEEV) Visa EOS, A-type (Diplomatic) or B-type (Official) Visa.
- If you don’t have a MEEV EOS (Extension Of Stay), then you need to apply for Visa in advance from a Cambodian Embassy or consulate before travelling.
- No Visa exemption entry, no visas on arrival, no e-Visas (electronic Tourist Visa) are being issued.
You can read more about getting work permits and visas to Cambodia here.
There are some conflicting reports on the quarantine and whether it is self quarantined, at a pre-designated government facility or at a hotel (believed to be the New York Hotel on Monivong Blvd) that has been appointed by the Ministry.
Do I need to be registered on the FPCS System?
What is the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS)?
The app will record foreigner information when they arrive in Cambodia at any entry point. It will also record their data when they leave Cambodia. The main purpose of FPCS is to protect foreigner safety and security in case of an emergency when they are travelling throughout Cambodia.
Landlords, property owners or hotels/guesthouses are required to register foreigner on the system and it is enforced by the Cambodian Interior Ministry’s General Department of Immigration.
(If you have questions or issues with the FPCS app, we recommend you contact the Interior Ministry’s General Department of Immigration – we are not associated with the app.)
Currently, The borders are still closed to neighbouring Thailand, Vietnam and Laos from Cambodia by air although Thailand has suggested this will change by July 2020.
More international flights are opening up again to and from Cambodia but its best to follow the official Embassy, airline and government announcements on these as well as the lifting of border restrictions.
Airlines which are reported to have restarted their flights to and from Cambodia include Cambodia Angkor Air, China Airlines and EVA Air. Cathay Pacific, Emirates, Thai Airways International and Qatar Airways reported they plan to resume flights to Cambodia in June and July 2020.