The Royal Cambodian Government has lifted the ban on visitors from Iran, Italy, Germany, Spain, France and the US due to COVID-19 and museums are set to reopen in June 2020 in the Kingdom.
All foreigner bans lifted
Foreigners from the six countries have been banned from entering the Kingdom of Cambodia since mid-March due to lockdown restrictions.
Although the countries were targeted at the time due to high rises of COVID-19 cases at the time, there was also some criticism as other nations were allowed to continue to enter who also showed ongoing spikes in the coronavirus.
What are the procedures to enter Cambodia as a foreigner
The Cambodian Ministry of Health Minister, Mam Bun Heng, said that even though all travellers are allowed to enter Cambodia including Cambodians and foreigners, they had to hold certificates confirming that they had no Covid-19.
In addition, the following is required for foreign visitors:
- Health certificates (recognised by the governments of each country) which are issued 72 hours before arriving in Cambodia.
- Health insurance documentation to the value of at least $50,000 while staying in Cambodia (must adhere to the government’s measures) and cover COVID-19 or pandemics.
- All travellers, including Cambodians and foreigners who arrive in Cambodia, are sent to be tested for Covid-19 (carried out by the Pasteur Institute.) In case one or many travellers are detected with Covid-19, other passengers on the same trip must be quarantined for 14 days.
- If results prove positive, Covid-19 passengers are to be quarantined for 14 days at their homes under the monitoring of local authorities and health officials, and they are required to be tested again on day 13 of the quarantine.
You are still required to be registered on the FPCS system when you are visiting Cambodia.
What Visa must you have to visit Cambodia during COVID-19?
- You must have a valid multi-entry/exit (MEEV) Visa EOS, A-type (Diplomatic) or B-type (Official) Visa.
- If you don’t have a MEEV EOS (Extension Of Stay), then you need to apply for Visa in advance from a Cambodian Embassy or consulate before travelling.
- No Visa exemption entry, no visas on arrival, no e-Visas (electronic Tourist Visa) are being issued.
There are some conflicting reports on the quarantine and whether it is self quarantined, at a pre-designated government facility or at a hotel that has been appointed by the Ministry.
We have seen different reports that if a flight arrived late to Phnom Penh, passengers are taken to a nearby facility and kept overnight with tests carried out the following day.
If someone on the flight is tested positive, the 2 options are to go to quarantine centre for 2 weeks to isolate with other passengers or pay to go to a designated hotel but individuals will need to pay for the room and food.
It is advised you to check with your embassy and follow the official government guidelines before travelling.
More international flights are opening up again, to and from Cambodia, and the Minister in charge of the State Secretariat of Civil Aviation (SSCA) Mao Havanall, was also open to new direct routes between Cambodia from US airlines that wish to operate direct flights to the Kingdom from the United States.
Cambodian Museums to reopen
More than 30 museums across Cambodia will also open for national and international visitors starting in June 2020, reports the Phnom Penh Post.
The Minister of Culture and Fine Arts, Phoeurng Sackona, said the decision was made with the approval of Prime Minister Hun Sen.
Tourism has been ravaged by the pandemic, globally and in Cambodia.
The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has been advised by the Cambodian Health Ministry to implement protective measures to avoid the risk of people transmitting Covid-19 at the museums.
Some of the actions to be implemented include:
- Visitors will have their temperatures checked.
- Visitors must wash their hands with alcohol or use hand sanitiser gel
- All guests to maintain social distancing and wear facemasks.
In total, Cambodia has 31 museums nationwide including 29 state-run and two private facilities that are officially registered.