Cambodia won two awards at the 2023 World Travel Awards and also placed in several other categories at the prestigious awards.
The two categories Cambodia was successful in at the 2023 World Travel Awards were “Asia’s Leading Cultural Destination” and “Asia’s Leading Youth Travel Destination”.
The Ministry of Tourism’s Secretary of State and Spokesman Top Sopheak said, “We are well known for the Angkor Archeological Park, a world heritage site in northwest Siem Reap province, and a beautiful bay in southwest Sihanoukville.”
World Travel Awards™ was established in 1993 to “acknowledge, reward and celebrate excellence across all key sectors of the travel, tourism and hospitality industries.”
2023 World Travel Awards – Cambodia
- Asia’s Leading Cultural Destination – Winner
- Asia’s Leading Youth Travel Destination – Winner
- Asia’s Leading Tourist Attraction 2023 – Runner-up (Angkor Temples)
- Asia’s Leading Emerging Tourism Destination 2023 – Shortlisted (Phnom Penh)
- Asia’s Most Romantic Destination 2023 – Shortlisted (Siem Reap)
- Asia’s Leading Boutique Resort 2023 – Shortlisted (FCC Angkor by Avani & Song Saa Private Island)
- Asia’s Leading Heritage Hotel 2023 – Shortlisted (Raffles Hotel Le Royal)
- Asia’s Leading Luxury Boutique Hotel 2023 – Shortlisted (Angkor Village Hotel)
- Asia’s Leading Luxury Hotel 2023 – Shortlisted (Shinta Mani Angkor and Bensley Collection Pool Villas)
- Asia’s Leading Private Island Resort 2023 – Shortlisted (Song Saa Private Island)
- Asia’s Leading Wildlife Resort 2023 – Shortlisted (Shinta Mani Wild)
Cambodian Tourism Numbers 2023
Cambodia’s Ministry of Tourism reported that 3.7 million air travellers arrived in the Kingdom between January – September 2023 which represents an increase of over 250 per cent compared to the same period in 2022. Although it is a positive sign, the numbers are still nearly 20 per cent down compared to pre-pandemic 2019.
This same period also saw 37,200 flights operate to Cambodia – a year-on-year rise of 103 per cent.
The State Secretariat of Civil Aviation has also forecast 4.6 million flyers by the end of 2023. The largest majority of visitors in 2023 have come from Thailand, Vietnam, China and Laos, with international visitors from the Unites States South Korea, Indonesia and France also contributing.