The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training issued a Prakas in August 2020 on Employing Foreign Workers in special circumstances which will allow businesses to employ more than 10 per cent of the total number of Cambodian workers.
The Prakas No. 277/20, which was issued on 14th August 2020, allows the owners or directors of Cambodian enterprises under the scope of Article 1 of the Law on Labour to request foreign workers in a special case.
There are certain steps to follow to allow for the special case. The Cambodian business owners or directors must:
- Submit a letter of request to the Minister of Labour and Vocational Training and attach the employment contract of each foreign worker,
- Fill the foreigner’s work permits application on FWCMS webpage (www.fwcms.mlvt.gov.kh).
- Pay the work permit fee.
- Have a legal visa and residence permit.
Foreigner Work Permit 2020
On 7 August 2020, the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training also notified business owners who employ foreign workers and foreigners, to apply for or extend their work permits.
Businesses and foreigners can apply for or extend their 2020 work permit through the One Window portal of the Cambodian Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training.
Monetary fines will be issued by the Ministry’s inspection team if this is not done.
- Read more about applying for working visas and permits in Cambodia here.
- You can also find the latest updates on entering the Kingdom of Cambodia for work during COVID-19 in this article.