The Cambodian General Department of Digital Economy will set out to work on developing the digital economy in Cambodia and operate under the Ministry of Economy and Finance, according to a sub-decree issued by the Royal Government on June 22, 2023.
Based at the Council of Ministers headquarters in the capital of Phnom Penh, “The General Department of Digital Economy is administered under the Ministry of Economy and Finance (Finance Ministry) with a mission to lead, manage, and develop digital economy in Cambodia based on the principles of the free market and social equity in accordance with policies, strategies, plannings, laws, and regulations related to the digital economy,” sub-decree Article 2 stated.
According to the sub-decree which is three chapters long with 10 articles, the General Department of Digital Economy is responsible for preparing and implementing policies, strategies, plans, projects, programs, action plans, laws, and regulations related to the digital economy in Cambodia.
The department would conduct research, analyse, monitor, and evaluate the trends of the digital economy, both regionally and globally.
The department directs, manages, and develops digital infrastructure to support the development of the digital economy, and also to establish partnerships with regional and global organizations and development partners.
The General Department of Digital Economy comprises three departments:
- Department of General Affairs is responsible for administrative, financial, staff, human resources, state property, and dissemination matters.
- Department of Digital Economy Infrastructure manages and develops digital economy infrastructure.
- Department of Digital Economy Program oversees the management and development of products, services, plans, and digital economy programs.
The establishment of the General Department of Digital Economy is part of Cambodia’s long-term vision for the Digital Economy and Society Policy Framework 2021-2035. The framework aims to build a vibrant digital economy and society.
In recent years, several new institutions have emerged in Cambodia to prepare for the digital transformation.
These include the Faculty of Digital Economy at the National University of Management, the Cambodia Academy of Digital Technology under the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications, and the Techo Startup Centre under the Ministry of Economy and Finance, working to develop human resources, providing digital expertise, promoting innovation, and supporting digital startups.
The various government ministries are also building their capacity in areas such as blockchain, artificial intelligence (AI), and the Internet of Things (IoT).
It is also getting quite bloated in terms of the number of official departments and government organisations that are now involved in increasing Cambodia’s digitalisation efforts.
Other reads on Cambodian Digitalisation
- Cambodian Fintech Well Represented At Inclusive Fintech Forum 2023.
- Cambodian Insurance Brokers Association drive for digitalisation.
- The Cambodian Ministry of Commerce officially launched its E-commerce strategy in November 2020.
- How digitisation opportunities could aid exporting services From Cambodia.