The Cambodian government has approved the increase of passenger service charges and other airport levies from September 2023 until 2028 from the airports operating in the Kingdom.
The government confirmed the increase to the air passenger service charge of USD $5, according to the Council of Ministers’ notification dated September 11, 2023.
The reason given was the increasing number of passengers passing through the three current international airports in the Kingdom and due to the sharp increase which is expected in years to come. This is still an interesting move as the tourism numbers are nowhere near the pre-pandemic levels and are not expected to be so until 2025 at the earliest.
The State Secretariat of Civil Aviation (SSCA) reported that the three international airports in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, and Sihanoukville saw 2.48 million passengers in the first half of 2023, with 404 flight movements per week from January to June in 2023.
- In total, 3.5 million international tourists were recorded visiting Cambodia between January-August 2023 which represents a year-on-year increase of 250.8 per cent.
- It is projected that approximately 5 million foreign tourists will visit in 2023.
- The Ministry of Tourism predicts this to reach 7 million in 2025, which will then surpass the pre-pandemic level of 6.6 million in 2019.
What Are The New Airport Fees In Cambodia 2023-2028
SSCA’s under-secretary of state and spokesman Sin Chansereyvutha said “The revision in airport fees in Cambodia is comparable to other (neighbouring) countries.”
The related aviation service charges include landing, parking, lighting and aerobridge with the statement saying: “The Royal Government of Cambodia has approved the SCA Airport Concession Company to increase necessary service charges for a period of five years from September 1, 2023, to September 1, 2028.”
As a result, increased airport and flight charges will be:
- Cambodian adult passenger service fees are now USD $23, up from USD $18.
- For foreigners, this fee is up to USD $30 from USD $25.
- International flights for children under 12 years, see fees increased to USD $15, up from USD $10.
- International flight fees for foreigners are now USD $18, up from USD $13.
- Passenger service charges for domestic flights (for all passengers) for Cambodians and foreigners remain at USD $5 and $6, respectively.
- Landing, parking, lighting and aerobridge, charges have increased from $445 to $578 per aircraft.
The Global Business Travel Association (GBTA) anticipates business travel in Asia Pacific to see significant growth in 2023 and beyond, they said at the 2023 GBTA Business Travel Outlook™ (BTI) held in September 2023.
Catherine Logan, GBTA Regional Senior Vice President for EMEA and APAC, said: “The growth and opportunities ahead in the APAC business travel sector are reflected in our regional spending forecasts.” They predict:
- Business travellers in APAC may spend less per business trip but may index higher on food, beverage, and hotel expenses.
- These travellers will also desire for more premium options and blended (or “bleisure”) travel than their fellow corporate travellers in other global regions.
The new Siem Reap International Airport is due to be operational in October 2023 in Cambodia.
Find Out More About Cambodia’s Tourism: